PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING PRE-OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS TO HELP MAKE YOUR SURGERY DAY AS STRESS FREE AS POSSIBLE.
1. It is Important to be seen by your internist for a pre-operative examination. At this appointment a routine physical examination and diagnostic tests will be performed.
2. If you have any cold symptoms, infections, and injuries to the skin in the area of surgery, high blood pressure, cardiac or breathing problems or ALLERGIES, this may prevent surgery from taking place. Please contact your internist if you have any questions about this.
3. If appropriate, you will be fitted with crutches, sling, or other medical equipment and also given materials for preparation of surgical area. The nurse will instruct you on the use of these materials.
4. If you are taking aspirin or an aspirin derivative, THIS MUST BE STOPPED 1 WEEK PRIOR TO SURGERY.
5. You are not allowed to eat or drink (even water) AFTER MIDNIGHT THE NIGHT BEFORE YOUR SURGERY. You may brush your teeth and rinse your mouth, but please DO NOT SWALLOW ANY WATER.
6. When you go to the hospital/surgery center, we suggest you bring loose-fitting clothing that could fit over any post-operative bandages and is comfortable to wear home. Leave any valuable items (jewelry or excess money) at home.
7. Upon discharge you will not be able to drive yourself home; you will need to make appropriate arrangements.
We hope this information will make your surgical experience a more comfortable and smooth experience. If there are any questions, please contact Mariana at (310) 595-1030.